About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hey Mom - Can I color your head?

This is what Madeline asked me as I sat across from her this morning at the kitchen table. I had just gotten Ginger down for her morning nap, and Madeline was coloring quietly in her Hello Kitty coloring book with her new markers. I was reading the paper, which I never get to do it seems, and she simply looked up at me and in the most innocent and normal tone asked "Hey mom - can I color your head?" I thought about it for a minute, set the paper down on the table, shrugged and said "Sure" So I sat down in front of her and she went to town. I decided I better pick up the insert to the markers and make sure they were washable (they were) and let her be creative. She wasn't rushed through it, she seemed to take her time and was very precise - and the moment I asked PJ if he wanted to come in and see, she got VERY upset - she did not want anyone to see this until she was done. Interesting. When she was done she wanted to show daddy, so we went out to the office to show him. She was very proud, so was I. I love that she wanted to do this - and I love that she was so intentional about it. Again, my little angel.

I kept my painted head all day - I loved how I would forget and then pass by a mirror and realize I was full of color. The only rule I gave her was no black - but all other colors were OK. I think this is way better than just a plain bald head - because it gives you brightness and color and fun - we may make this a regular thing. Who knows.

My mom and Britt arrived today, and I'm so happy to have them here. We got them all in and settled into their room, and my girls got to love on them and play with them -it is just awesome to watch them love on each other. I mean, that's the whole reason we moved here in the first place way back when, was so our children (well, child at the time) would know their family growing up - that was super important to PJ and I as parents. And to get to just sit back and watch this, and now watch this with my NEW eyes, it is just amazing. We are so blessed.

My mom just went to bed a minute ago, stopped by me and said "I'm so proud of you Dina, as a woman, and as a daughter." Then she kissed me on the head. Wow. Just, wow.

We're going to take part in the kiddie parade downtown tomorrow - and yes, I'll get some pics as the Mountcastle clan will all be wearing their matching t-shirts (I know, cue gagging sounds). Then I'm taking my mom and we're getting pedicures. A little girl time couldn't hurt. Also, PJ's brother and his partner arrive tomorrow as well - and we are all ecstatic to see them as well. Can't wait for a full house. I love my family surrounding me - it fills me up like nothing else. It kinda always has, just more so now. I may or may not write again this weekend considering I'll have both girls sleeping in my room with us starting tomorrow night - so until Sun I'll leave you with a pic of Madeline coloring my head. We just had the best day today - so it pays to choose joy apparently. Who knew?

5 comments:

  1. Dina,
    You are amazing!!! I love your attitude and am truely inspired by how you live life.
    Thank you for your blogging and our prayers are with you and your family each day.

    gasketman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a wonderful message, Dina--including the photo! Your reference to choosing joy the other day inspired me to include some info on the actual health benefits of 'choosing joy'---thanks for your inspiration!
    My blog: www.wellnessnurse.blogspot.com and yes, you are that amazing woman in the 7/2 blog!
    God's blessings to you and your family---enjoy an incredible weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how intense Mad' looks in this picture... She is such an amazing spirit. Ps- I feel you on the public tantrums- wanna trade for a day? I guarantee you'll be begging for Ginger'kins back. I know you guys hoped for a boy some day, but once you have had a full on boy-toddler-tantrum, you know how blessed you are to have girls... sigh... I hear 3 is worse... ;) Love you, sexy mamma.
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANTASTIC!!!! Hope you had a great weekend!!! Would love to see if we can get another visit up there soon too! Kisses from all of us! Carolyn, Travis and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dina,
    You are such an amazing woman and mother. I appreciate the way you mother your children and how you adore your husband. Families like yours are hard to find and so needed right now in our society. You inspire and remind me to drop what I'm doing and play with my girls. Thanks for that. Much love, Peggy

    ReplyDelete