About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Nothing like a 10 1/2 hour drive.....

So here we are in Clovis, CA. PJ's grandma took a drastic right turn into a more medically assisted home, and we thought we better get here while we had the allotted time to do so. We arrived about 4am on Sat morning - and considering it took us 10 1/2 hours to get here, the girls really did quite well. Ginger had had quite enough of her car seat about 6 hours in, and to tell you the truth, I didn't blame her. I ended up in the back seat of the van holding her while she slept for the remainder of the trip. So sweet. We went and saw grandma yesterday and I have to say, she is still has her sharp moments, she is a hoot. We got a chance to see her, chat with her, the girls saw her and Madeline colored some pictures for her - it was really nice. It's also been so great to see PJ's side of the family - makes me want to live closer to them. How blessed I am to have married into a family that is so awesome - they are just good people. The kind of people you want to hang with - they are certainly on 'the bus' if you catch my drift. PJ's cousin has 2 little girls around our girls ages so they have just been in hog heaven. We were getting ready last night to go to a little Halloween thingy at the local zoo for the kids, literally getting in the car to go, when Ginger had another one of her seizures. This one was not as dramatic as her others, but a seizure nonetheless. I can totally get through them now, needed a little help as I was literally talking her through it while walking around PJ's cousins front yard, but once I've got her 'back' I still cry in just fear. I hate that she goes through this, and just pray that this will stop one day for her. No fever with this one, so I am at a total loss. My gut is telling me that she had a long day with the drive and all, not a lot of food, not a lot to drink, and her body just said "stop! we are stopping now because I need sleep!' and that she did - slept for 13 hours straight. You'd never know it happened looking at her this morning. Madeline went ahead with PJ's cousin and their beautiful family, and she even got to sleep over at their house, which was very cool for her. PJ and I were able to take Ginger back to the hotel and nurse her back to health. What a ride. What a wild ride. This parenting thing is quite a ride. I am reminded once again how I was picked, out of many many others mommy's out there, picked specifically to be Ginger and Madeline's mommy. I know them like no other, I can read them like no one else can, and that 'gut' feeling I get about them, the feeling that came to me yesterday that told me moments before the seizure that she was going to have one, is a gift from God. These moments are reminders to us of why were are placed on this earth. Brings to mind for me the message from Pastor George's sermon last Sunday - he said "consider this - we are not human beings on a spiritual journey, we are spirit beings on a human journey". Considering this possibility can completely change the way you look at people, look at EVERYONE. It's like you see the spirit inside of them, and not their human form. I know, heavy for a Sunday afternoon, but I needed to share. Try it out next time your just walking down the street or through a store and look at other people with this in mind. Look at your children with this in mind - frickin mind blowing.

I'm feeling fine, was having some upset tummy issues on Thurs and Fri, which they said would happen considering the 'coils' they placed in me during the 'mapping' but that has passed (thank God) and I'm feeling much better now. OH - I totally forgot to mention this about the mapping procedure - when they wheeled me in for the procedure, I see this young man (yes, I said 'young man' oy) who took my xray pics a couple weeks prior - he looks like he's maybe 15 years old, total skater look to him, and he is the one who asked me if I wouldn't mind listening to Led Zepplin during the procedure. Once I was placed on the OR table, he pulls up my hospital gown and shows a look of disgust when he sees I still have my underwear still on. I tell him that I asked and was told it was OK (another problem with my scary intake nurse) so one of the female nurses helps me take them off, then, he is the one to 'shave my groin area'. Ok - I am going to sound a LOT naive here, but I think I thought my groin area was on my thigh, why? I have no idea. Well, it's not. It's in your bikini area, and now I have this prepubescent guy shaving my bird. Then, he just leaves - went to get something I guess, so I say out loud "and here I am! my bird just hanging out for anyone to see!". Just another layer of 'what else can I please experience to add to my cancer stand up act' I suppose. Oy. I would love to say I will get a bikini wax before my therasphere procedure, just to impress them, but I've had one of those before and no frickin way - that was more painful than anything I've ever experienced in my life. No way.

Well, my family is napping now on our hotel beds, looking so beautiful and peaceful - I watch them and thank God for my life, my family, my extended family, and the fact that we are visiting here right now. I'm so thankful for PJ's grandma, what she has taught me, what she means to PJ and his family. She has no idea the good she continues to do by bringing this family together. Just by being on this planet, people accomplish so much without ever knowing it. Spirits on a human journey. Way cool.

God Bless -

No comments:

Post a Comment