About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Results Are In

Well shit. Results came in that the tumor on my liver is growing again. Slowly, but growing. Doc has increased my meds to an additional pill a day. I currently take 1 Xeloda in the morn and one at night, now he wants me taking 3 a day. The interesting thing is, my blood tests are all normal, great actually. My liver function tests are normal - improved actually from my last visit last month. I looked at Dr. Nixon and said "well that doesn't make sense does it?" Dead pan answer of "Nope". Then I replied - "well, I just don't make much sense do I?" Repeated dead pan response - "Nope". I have to say, I know I'll never know, but I wonder what my exposure to all that shit in the air on 9/11 may have played a role here in how my cancer is behaving. I have the most common kind, the kind they know the most about, yet it is not behaving as it does in other people. I looked at him, because quite honestly, I am feeling very realistic and practical about this - not emotional at all - thank GOD - I asked him worst case scenario, when do we pull out the big guns and I go to the Taxol crappy chemo route again. He said "Oh, that wouldn't happen for a long, long time". Good. Glad we have time to find some other alternative. Then he showed me with his hands how large my liver is - it's pretty big! (figuratively speaking here, I'm not bragging like 'whoa! look at my big liver!' I think everyones is basically the same size I just didn't realize how big they all were) then he indicated to me the size of my tumor - again, some relief here.

I'm fine - and again, kinda amazed. I feel fine, all the other tests read that I'm fine - isn't that strange. What a test of my faith - seriously. Now listen to this little gem of an experience:

I go for my massage with chatty Cathy, right? I walk into the massage room and she starts in on the asking me a question but when I answer I basically get interrupted while she talks about herself, you know these people, right? Anyway, she sits down with me and I tell her that I'm really just looking for a shoulder and neck massage as that is where I carry most of my tension. She says, and I shit you not: "you haven't met with your doctors yet, have you?" I'm thinking, you know this lady, everyone is this whole building knows my schedule, that's kinda the cool thing about CTCA. I reply, no. She continues "so you haven't received the results of your CT scan then, right?" Duh - no. She says, "well, I read them and it seems there is something indicated on your spine, did you know this? I want to stay away from this area and just focus on your upper back area". Wha???? I am immediately in panic mode - more spine mets? What? So I just muster a nod, say OK and we move into the massage, which now, I don't even remember. Long story short, she was wrong. Can you believe it? Wrong!!!! I had a feeling that maybe she misread and mistakenly saw scar tissue from where my previous bone mets were as new ones, but wasn't sure. That's exactly what she did. Yes, I did tell my case manager and no, I won't be having a massage again. What a huge, scary moment. What an idiot. Oy.

So it was an exciting day. Once again, I'm really just living off how I feel. I do what they tell me to do - I trust my docs - and I know I am in good hands. And plugging along I go.

Spending some awesome time w/ my mom, and emotional too. I'm looking forward to spending time with her this weekend. What a gift. And I get to just put this aside and carry on. Not in a denial way, but in a I have a life to live kind of way - I mean, I do. Yes, I did hug my Madeline a little longer then normal when I saw her. She has such a peaceful energy, it's healing to just be around her.

Well tired - must sleep. Prayers for healing please, have a great weekend.

God Bless -

2 comments:

  1. you are right... you can also find latest Results News alerts online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello. i found your blog and am praying for you... i am worried that your blogs have stopped :( my boyfriends mother has brain cancer and her condition worsens daily...i pray for all with this terrible disease to heal and live life fully as long as God wills them.. god bless (or whatever power you believe in ;) )

    ReplyDelete