About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Little Theresphere Vacation

So - procedure went real well yesterday. In fact, to quote one of the nurses and theresphere assistants - 'that was the smoothest, quickest therasphere I've ever seen done'. Woo Hoo!!!! I seemed to 'feel' much more of this procedure than the last oddly enough - but I make it through. I also had to lay flat for longer afterwards - completely flat - for 4 1/2 hours. I was becoming quasi cancer bitch here in the hospital room - until the nurse kindly suggested that I get an adivan to help me relax. That would have been fine but they came in to finally give it to me at 2pm and I was allowed to get up at 2:30. Soooo - I got up, went pee, then went to bed and slept for 4 hours, no joke. Crazy. Today I feel fine, my right leg which is the leg they went in on, feels kind of 'bruised' inside but they say that that is normal. They have hooked me up to the Leucovorin which I will stay hooked up to for 6 days straight. Right now it's on a very, very slow drip - 24 hours actually. So I can't switch to the 'pump' until this is done. That will be around 4pm today - so needless to say, I'm going a bit stir crazy. Really, really trying to move with the cheese. Now they told me I won't be able to be discharged until Monday rather than Sunday. OK. I know that this is exactly where I'm supposed to be, this is exactly what I needed to have done, and I need to trust that they know what is best for me - and do what they tell me to do. PJ had to leave to get back home just a bit ago, it was hard to see him leave, but the girls really need him at home and I feel better with them knowing that at least one of us is there. I miss him already, and really miss my girls. How blessed I am that family has stepped in to help me with them - they don't know it consciously, but it is nice to have family there with them - different, more familiar energy. Good.

So I guess around 4pm today I will be discharged from inpatient - and go right into infusion for my first round of chemo drug called floxuridine. I will get premeds then the drug - not sure how long this is going to take, if I'll be getting this at the same time every day, what the side effects I will experience, don't know. Just trying once again, move with the cheese Dina!!! I am reminded how much I like to plan and know what is coming up - I need to just give that up and move where I'm told. I've already said no to some drugs they had on my schedule - they had scheduled a nulasta shot for me when I leave, which I promptly declined. They will be doing weekly blood counts on me so they will send me home with orders I can take to a local lab and have them draw blood, run counts then send it to my oncologist here. If the first one comes back showing I need a boost - then fine, I'll do the nulasta, but I am electing not to do this prophylactically. I'm trusting my body to behave the way it has in the past, and have perfect blood counts like always. My next appt here will be on Nov 30th where they will do a chest xray, PET and CT scan and I'll meet with both oncologist - the theraspere oncologist and my general oncologist. We'll see the results then. I do remember them saying that they sometimes show better results in 12 weeks, but we'll see. I'm ready fr results either way.

Sad to say I am on dexamethasone right now, a steroid I'm familiar with as I had with my prior chemo, to help manage internally inflammation. Can't stand this stuff - makes me warn and gives me what I like to call the Carl Mauldin nose. All red and chewed on looking. But overall I feel good. Finally starting to poop - so feeling even better than before.

My hair loss has dwindled but continues. Mostly on the top of my head, so I figure since I'm so tall, if I just never sit or bend down, no one will ever know! PJ says I should start wearing a yamica - but I thought perhaps the congregation at our church would find that confusing. They wouldn't question me, this is a Methodist church, whereas the Lutheran church there would probably be alarms that went off when I walked through the door. (kidding) I'll just start wearing my new hat that says 'Wish You Were Hair".

I have to say I am ever reminded of how much I truly love my husband. He sits here in my hospital room and just watches me sleep. He stays with me all morning, all day, he sits in the corner of my room in dimly lit light till 2am working because he doesn't want anyone to fall by the wayside, even his job and his customers. I really connected to the feeling of the safety in just knowing he was here - such comfort, such love. I am so lucky to have found him - he takes such good care of me. Thank you Lord, for putting us in each others paths, and giving us the sense enough to notice each other.

The pain management doc just paid me a visit - and had to ask me if I was the patient. He said I look so good, he didn't know if I was the patient or now. Now, I'll take that compliment over and over.

I'll check in tonight probably to give the rundown of the rest of the day. Move with the cheese Dina - with a smile and skip in your step. I'll make sure I ask them for a chemo pump that can withstand skipping. If you come to visit, just look for the 6 ', balding, skipping cancer patient with a chemo pump. Now there's a frickin Hallmark card, eh?

God Bless -

1 comment:

  1. I love your reference to 'moving with the cheese'. You're doing an amazing job of moving with your cheese. :) xoxo

    *Also- should you decide to wear a yarmulke, let's make it a fabulous sparkley divalicious one! You can totally pull that off!

    ReplyDelete