About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Monday, November 15, 2010

A Proud Card Carrying Member

So I've acquired quite a collection. Let's see, what cards explaining devices in my body are currently in my wallet - my port, my breast implants, the star closure device used to close my artery for the mapping, and now the 'angio-seal' device used to close my artery for the theresphere procedure. Part of me wants to run down to the airport to see if I set off any alarms - ooooh yea, especially now since you basically get strip searched. Yay. I can't WAIT to travel sometime soon.

So, I have been home sweet home for a week now. My loving husband came down on Sunday and spent the night, then when I went for what I thought was my last treatment on Monday (that would have been day 6) they said all I needed to do was get a flush (that's kinda cleaning my port) and be on my way. GTFOH!!!!! I was so frickin happy, I couldn't believe it. I wish I had known on Sunday that that had been my last treatment - I think I was just so in the 'zone' down there - like subconsciously 'putting my head down and just doin it' kinda thing - that I didn't realize how happy I was to hear that I was actually done. So my awesome nurse flushed me (that sounds wrong) and sent me on my way. I went directly to the chapel, got on my knees and thanked the Lord for seeing me through, and thanking Him that is was over. I was in tears - tears of joy, tears of just complete joy in my heart. Then I went to my room, gave PJ the good news and we got the hell outta there!!!

I came home to the most wonderful of homecomings. My beautiful daughters, they wouldn't leave me alone and I couldn't soak it up any faster. Lots of hugs and kisses. My mom, niece and aunt had taken such good care of my kids - I am so blessed. Now, the rest of last week was pretty painful. I have never experienced such stomach pain in my life - it was awful. I was constipated again (when am I NOT as of late) but this time it was effecting me differently. Anything I ate, almost immediately gave me horrendous stomach cramps. So, I got a little advice from my CTCA friends - get this - if you ever need to get things moving, and moving quickly, here's a sure remedy: warm prune juice with miralax. Yes, disgusting, but sweet Jesus the relief of a lifetime. I won't get any more graphic, let's just say yes, it worked. It really wasn't until this past weekend though, like late Sat and Sunday that I have felt almost completely back to normal. Today especially, I have felt completely awesome - wasn't tired in the middle of the day even, and I can't remember the last time I wasn't tired during the day. Needless to say, I am jumping with joy. Was able to go to the gym today, run a bunch of errands w/ Ginger, just had the best day. Felt like a normal mom.

My hair is still coming out. It's shedding - I don't know what the hell this is about. I haven't had adrymiacin forever now it seems - plus I only had 4 small treatments of it - but it still must be doing it's thing - or the remnants of it are still hanging around. I dunno. Seriously considering the yamica (sp?) thing though - seriously.

Here's some really great news that I can finally share - my husband got a new job. Can you believe it? Now - if THIS isn't God, I don't know what is - because he got this amazing new job, working for an amazing local company, at the pay we could afford. We had to take a cut, but we really think it is WAY worth it - on so many levels. It all went down in a week - seriously, 1 week and he landed the job. First of all, I knew my husband was amazing, and I knew that other people would think he was amazing too if they could only meet him. We all know that if someone tells you you're a piece of shit long enough, you start to believe it - and that is what his current employer had done to him over the years. Just no pleasing them. His current job did though, allow him to work from home, which helped us so much over the last year and 1/2 with me going through these surgeries and chemo treatments. What a blessing I was able to basically have my husband close if I needed him. For that, we will be ever grateful. But - WE ARE SO EXCITED TO MOVE ON!!!!! Yay.

Ya know, when PJ and I decided he was going to look elsewhere - I told him that I had this theory - that we just needed to move in a direction, the direction we were being told to move, we just needed to put the word out there about him, send a resume, make a phone call - get the ball rolling. That we were the kind of people where once we started something, everything else would fall into place - just move in a direction, and let God take care of the rest. He looked at me like I was nuts - but then once this all went down, I told him to rise above this situation and look at it from a birds eye view - things just don't happen like that - not at all. Now, I'm not explaining this for this big 'I told you so'moment - I'm explaining this because here I was, all passionate about God revealing Himself in this job scenario with my hubby because he listened to the signs and moved in a direction that he felt God wanted him to - and God took care of the rest - then I realized that I moved towards CTCA and look what happened to me? The same thing - how amazing. All I did was pick up the phone and call and the rest, I believe, God has taken care of. I know the odds are against me - but you know what? I know I can beat the odds - people do it all the time - and if anything weird or out of the ordinary is going to happen to anyone, it's going to be me. That's just the way I roll.

OK - I think I've rambled on enough this evening. I guess I would just encourage everyone to just move - move in some direction that feels right in your gut and see what happens. We can't sit and wait for things to work for us, we have to play an active part. Maybe that's why He gave us free will - to see if we were listening or not.

God Bless -

5 comments:

  1. I've missed you! So glad your Home, CONGRATULATIONS to PJ on the new job. We are so happy for you all. Lots of Love. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look for your blog every day and get such a thrill when you post. You are so amazing. Loving your story. Hope to be a long-time subscriber to your blog, even when you are years post recovery. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, food for thought tonight, Dina! Thank you. Love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things are moving in such a blessed direction. :)

    OH.. btw... my dad takes tons of meds everyday - like close to 30 pills a day! So, sometimes he has the same problem. Cramping, can't "go" kinda problem. I keep prunes in the house for that reason. As gross as this sounds, I take a piece of Double Fiber Bread and wrap it around 3 or 4 prunes. That usually does the trick. (In case you're ever in the market for an alternative remedy...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss you and love you and am so happy for you and your beautiful family. How GREAT is OUR GOD!!!???
    In Christ's Outrageous Love, Pr. Mary

    ReplyDelete