About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where is the love????

So - to bring you up to date - Madeline's procedure last week went GREAT! Well, as great as putting a catheter in a 5 year old can be - she handled it like a trooper and was her brilliant self - she did get serious with me for a moment at the end while we were getting her back into her street clothes 'mom - I don't ever want to do that again'. I told her that I really wished we wouldn't have to and how proud I was of her. We then skipped off to Five & Diner and had a fun lunch together. These moments teach me so much - kids just deal with things as they happen, then when it's over - its over! They don't relish in it or re-tell it a thousand times - or complain (yet!) - what a lesson she has taught me.

Weekend was fun as I had a friend come and visit me from NY - I hadn't seen her in some time and I had a bunch of holiday stuff planned for she and I and the girls as PJ was out of town on his elk hunt. Little did I know she converted to Jehovah's Witness a couple years ago. Needless to say - AWKWARD! But I guess it all worked out fine and we ended up having a fun visit. I think she was ready to go though - I don't think she quite expected the loudness of having little ones - and they were loud. God Bless them. My house and girls are Christmas CRAZY - Christmas threw up in my house - it's obnoxious.

So - I am feeling great - and so happy about my results last week - just been feeling full of hope. Finally got back to the gym today, and maybe it's just today, but I felt like people were looking at me like I just pushed a grandma into the street or something. Weird. Just a 'not so friendly feeling' today in the gym. And, the news is filled with this Elizabeth Edwards story - the jist of it is, her breast cancer has returned and this time is has returned on her liver so she is not seeking any further treatment and according to the vast news reports - she has her family gathered and has weeks to live. Now, let me just say that I have such mixed emotions about this. I'd be lying if I didn't say it spooked me a bit - because it does. But, I've been trying to find out what KIND of breast cancer she has and I can't seem to find out. I also have read that she is physically not in a real good place, so perhaps theresphere isn't an option for her. These news reports are just chuck full of stats on metastatic breast cancer, and I keep reminding myself that you can't apply a statistic, which is a figure based on thousands of people, to an individual - it just isn't matching apples with apples. My instinct upon hearing this this morning was to find an email for her and plead with her to try theresphere - why isn't anyone bringing that up to her?? Then I think of the crap she has had to deal with this past year, and wonder, how much of her time was really able to concentrate on fighting this thing? With a husband who admittedly had an affair and a child with another woman - I can't imagine what that would do to a woman, let alone, the whole frickin world knowing about it. Bottom line, it is impossible to fight this thing without people in your corner, specifically, your family. This story has brought this to the forefront for me today - how blessed I am to have the loving husband I have, the amazing children I have, the most awesome set of parents in the world (that includes you Nancy!), and a community of friends that has reached wider than my wildest dreams. You - you all make it worth the fight, your love and support make it easier for me to do this - what a blessing you all are. I thank God each and everyday for the people He has specifically placed in my path - you are all precious to me and I thank you.

I don't know what the deal was at the gym today - tomorrow I'll wear my t-shirt 'Yes they're fake - my real ones tried to kill me' and see what that stirs up. :-)

God Bless -

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for continuing to share your journey, Dina. And your sass! You wear that shirt tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like the Elizabeth Edwards story swallowed me whole when I came home today. I know exactly how you feel. Those people in the gym were just jealous of your hot boobs..
    xoxo Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the slogan on your T-shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. I get kind of sad and bored when we go for too long without one of your witty posts. I love you, girl. Can we move back to NYC now so we can go to a real diner? <3 Sami

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too funny! i can't wait to hear what the "gym" has to say about your shirt tomorrow. =)

    ReplyDelete