About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dina's Stand Up Cancer Act

So I just finished doing a talk at the Yavapai County Shriners Club dinner. This is actually a funny story how this came about - my father asked me weeks ago if I would come and talk to this group for their first combined meeting and, seeing I had given my 'testimony' a couple of times I thought that that was the kind of 'talk' he was referring to - a faith/cancer walk kind of talk. So I agreed. Then I got a copy of the email that went out to all the members saying Dina Mountcastle was going to do 'stand up'. wha? yikes - I haven't done stand up in like, 20 years, and trust me - the material I used way back then, although I still find pretty funny myself (beef jerky is timeless material) I didn't think would be received all that well by shriners. And I wasn't really ready to make my cancer that funny. In any case, I told some funny stories about my dad, my hubby, my kids, then talked about my cancer walk, my faith, a little message about living life int he present and ended with a slide show. It seemed to go over well. I did try to make cancer funny - I need to work on this a little harder though. Right now, I think the only people who would feel comfortable laughing out loud to that humor would be other cancer patients. Hmmmm. Might be onto something there. I know I have a message to give, just trying to figure out how to find it. These things help though - and I felt so blessed to tell my story and share wonderful pictures of my beautiful family. I am so proud of my family.

So I take Ginger to PCH tomorrow for her MRI. We have to check in and 11 and her test is at noon. She will need to be completely sedated, so I am working through this and ready to be the strong mama tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers. I am hoping we finally get some answers - to find out what it's not hopefully. Trust Dina, trust.

Madeline is now sick too with some sort of tummy bug - so it looks like we will have a quiet weekend at home. When it rains it pours.

I am feeling fine - I did actually order a glass of wine this evening before my talk, but had just a couple of sips. Didn't taste right - which is good. I think it was probably cheap wine, but still, I made a choice and that felt good. To be honest, I think it was indeed the alcohol I was consuming that was giving me the flushing of the face - so there ya go. My body telling me to knock it off. Message received. Bummer.

It's kind of a catch 22 I think - I am so thrilled to be off of everything for the past 12 weeks, it almost makes me forget my disease. It's been like a mini vacation - and I am loving it. What comes along with that however, it all the stupid crap that enters my mind and I start worrying about. All that crap I realized when I was knee deep in my disease was a complete waste of time slowly creeps back now that I have been blessed enough to take a couple steps back from it for a short time. I suppose that is the frickin humanness of all of us - and maybe just being aware is enough to swing it back in the other direction, I hope so.

I'm a bit tired and need to go check on my chicks. One thing I do remember everyday - is how lucky I am to be the mommy of Madeline and Ginger, and the wife of PJ Mountcastle. A reminder to myself to keep it simple stupid. Everything you need is right there in front of you.

God Bless -

No comments:

Post a Comment