About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Had a Crush on Peter Pan

I recently watched Madeline watch Peter Pan (the original) for the first time and it was one of the coolest mom moments of my life. I was making her lunch at the time, and in the kitchen listening to the movie while she was watching and I could hear it clear as day. As I listened I was flooded with my own childhood memories. I could predict each line, each song, each moment as it happened. I thought 'how do I remember this movie so well?' I was literally saying the lines with the movie as I made her a turkey and cheese sandwich. Then it occurred to me - I used to listen to the Disney Peter Pan album over and over and over. I would listen to it on my rinky dink record player and follow along with the book that came with the record. I couldn't have seen the movie, unless they showed it on TV - wasn't like we had DVD's or even VHS movies at that point. I felt nostalgic, and I felt OLD. In any case, Peter Pan was indeed one of my favorites and I did develop a weird young girl crush on Peter Pan. Until I was taken to a theatrical performance of it and Cathy Rigby played Peter Pan - I remember being very confused by this. Hmmmm.

Today was good, had my calcium treatment in Sedona today and I actually went by myself. I haven't been to any Sedona appt without PJ since the dreaded "Oh no - you aren't stage II cancer - you're stage IV" appointment. It was liberating and lonely all at the same time. I sat with a beautiful woman who was having her 3rd of 6 treatments. She had overheard me and another patient I hadn't seen in awhile talk about our hair coming back in and how we almost didn't recognize each other with hair! She asked me how long it had been since it started to come back. We had a great talk. I love taking to strangers in that place, because, you aren't really strangers at all - at least not for very long. Within a few minutes, you are sharing your stories with each other, gabbing like two old friends, with tubes flowing from our ports. So strange yet wonderful at the same time. It's hard to explain.

My next PET/CT scan is scheduled for March 15th. I don't have the anxiety I had before, but then again, it's a couple weeks away, so there's still time. ;-) I do feel differently about this one. We'll see. Still sucks that this is what I need to do to check on this thing - PET every 3 months. Yuk. I'm also trying some glucosomine (sp?) for my joint problem. We'll see - taking 'joint juice' and it tastes very salty to me, but, if it helps, it's worth it.

Lying here with our new little dog Charley, she was spayed today and she is not feeling real great this evening. PJ will be sleeping in the spare bedroom w/ Snickers and most likely Madeline and I get our bed with Charley. We love our animals. We love all of our kids.

Tired again this evening, and another long day tomorrow. MOPS meeting then we have a trip to Phx to see my plastic surgeon for a check up. We'll be scheduling my surgery then as well, which is exciting.

I haven't been reading my devotionals lately and I really need to. They inspire and challenge me. I have been praying, a lot actually, more than usual. Patience, gotta have more patience. Arg.

God Bless -

1 comment:

  1. OMG- I was totally in love with Peter Pan, too. So interesting how Peter Pan is so often played by a chick... I guess we just do stuff better. (snickers) Kiss your babies and your boobies for me. <3 Sami

    ReplyDelete