About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Friday, October 23, 2009

Titleless.... and then some

Well, this is PJ, Dina's husband, posting on her behalf. Just to be clear, this will be short and sweet.

Yesterday started good and continued to be better. Saying our goodbyes to Ginger, dropping Madeline off at school, then driving to Phoenix. Once we got to the hospital, we registered and were on our way.

The first bit of good news was from Dr. Zannis, Dina's breast surgeon. He stated that the procedure would take about 3 to 4 hours, instead of the time we had made-up, which was 6 to 7 hours. This was great news to all of us. Seems that once Dr. Zannis finished on one side, he would move to the other side and Dr. Mosharaffa (from now on referred to a Dr. Mo) would step in. This cut the time needed in half.

We said our goodbyes in the prep area and Dina was well on her way. Before I go any further, its important to note that Dr. Zannis looked like the Maestro, with his glasses on the tip of his nose, doctor's jacket flowing behind him, moustache and goatee; all he needed was a conductor's baton and creepy Die Hard accent and the look would have been complete.

Dr. Zannis emerged about an hour and a half later with excellent news. Everything had progressed nicely and to plan. He reported that Dr. Mo was finishing up and should be out shortly.

Dr. Mo came in about an hour later, seeming to skip in. He reported that everything had gone swimmingly, even to the point where he was able to fill Dina's implants half-way. This will eventually cut the time of this last part of her process in half. What great news! When we shared this with Dina (about 6 hours later, when she was coherent enough) she thought we were kidding.

The night nurses were clearly no too happy to be working, at least that night, but the day shift on Friday made up for this and more. Such nice ladies and very attentive.

Dina and I were napping this afternoon when the nurse came in and asked Dina if she wanted to go home. We both had to quickly wake-up, figure out what was going on, sign papers, pack the car, get Dina dressed and off we went. Out of the hospital almost exactly 24 hours after she had come out of surgery. Can you believe it?

We're now at the Pointe Tapatio Cliffs in Phoenix. A lovely room that works perfectly for rest and healing before we get back home on Sunday. My only question is, for such a nightly rate, why isn't the Internet wireless or free (cue eye-roll from Dina)?

That's about it from me. We've got the patient clean and dressed in her kitty cat pajamas and ready for some serious bed time. I'm sure Dina will be back on Monday.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers that continue as we move towards the finish line.

PJ-

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Thank you so much for the update! We are all thinking of you guys and love you and miss you and am thinking good booby thoughts for you guys! PS- Admittedly, at first glance, I thought your title said "titless and then some..." I sipped my coffee and the title came into focus, thank God... Oy. Kiss Dina and her tatas for me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always makes me sad to hear of bad/grumpy/unhappy nurses on the job. I remember my days of being a nurse very well--I would do whatever I could to make my patients feel the best possible. I know first-hand how challenging it can be at times in nursing, but that's absolutely NO reason to take it out on patients & family...Aaargh!

    ReplyDelete