About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Is That Your Grandaughter??

Are you frickin kidding me? That is what this woman at the pool asked me as I pushed Ginger around in her little boat in the pool. Here I come, be-bopping into the pool area with my family for a pre-dinner swim thinking this will be great - we'll get refreshed and have dinner then early bed for the kiddos since neither had afternoon naps - and I was already comfortable with taking off my scarf at the pool because I had been there twice before this week and taken it off with no problem. Here I am with all this comfortableness, and this woman says this horrible thing to me - I know I'm an older mom, but do I really look THAT old?!? Maybe bald I do, but still - what a stupid thing to say. Then of course she back peddled and said something like "I thought that's what you said the last time I saw you" I have no idea what she is talking about. But it really pissed me off more than anything. I did say "Granddaughter? Thanks a lot - no this is my daughter!" What shitty way to start my evening, eh? I know, I just need to let it roll off of me, which I can do, but I just want to know what it is about me that made her think that - that is the part that is bugging me. Arg.

Good day today overall - went to the MOPS registration with Madeline (Ginger stayed w/ Dad as she would have gotten on the playground and eaten all the sand for sure) and we had a great time. She played like crazy and I got to see all my MOPS moms again. I'm so excited to be part of this org in a leadership role this year, it's going to be so great. We stopped and bought Snickers (our dog) a couple toys on the way home, and watched the dogs get groomed at PetSmart. Fun.

I felt pretty good today, although I still have this steroid flush in my face the day after treatment that drives me crazy. My dr did tell me I could reduce my dose to 2 pills the night before (see I started at 5 pills the night before then more intravenous at treatment due to my allergic reaction the first time) so hopefully that will help with the flush in my face as well as the weight gain. Obviously, I'll take both of these things over the reaction I got the first treatment, but reducing this will be a nice change - I hope. Ahhhh more side effects. Don't cha just love it?

My port site is a bit irritated today, that is because there was a new nurse that hooked me up yesterday, and she used the wrong size needle. Now, this is actually pretty funny. I don't usually watch them access my port - it's just something that they do, I look away, and it is done - real quick like. But this time, it just felt weird. So I looked down, and the needle is like, hanging out of my skin - I mean, it's in my skin, but it looks like it's falling out. This, I knew was wrong. So when I went in for my exam, I asked Victoria, my doctors nurse, if it looked right, and she said she would go get one of the nurses to look at it. Then my favorite nurse, Fiona comes in - looks at it - says "She used to big of a needle, you should have the 3/4 needle - do you want me to fix it?" I"m like, "yea - please?" Seriously, if poisonous chemo is going to be running through this thing, let's make sure it is secure and in place, right? Don't want the stuff running out of me all over the floor or something, hazmat would need to be called or something I'm sure. So, long story short (too late), I got poked twice and it's bruised today. Plus they taped me twice so there's a lovely red circle around it from where the tape was ripped off both times. What a site I am tonight. How my husband still finds me even remotely attractive I will never know. God Bless him - can you believe he still grabs my ass in the kitchen? What a husband I have. I feel like I'm the luckiest girl alive to have found him.

AND - I forgot to mention yesterday, I got an antibiotic for my sinuses and Wha La!!! I am 100 times better in the nasal area - the best I've been since I started this thing. I can breathe and I feel so much better. The antibiotic I'm on is made with sulfur and the pharmacist said I should take it with cranberry juice - does anyone know why? I'm curious about this.

Well, I need to try to get to bed early tonight - I'm actually feeling pretty good, but who knows what may hit tomorrow. Maybe I'll be perfectly fine tomorrow, but I do get to sleep in just in case, so that is good. I've discovered that popsicles are extremely soothing to me - I had heard this, but never had the taste for one - then just bought some last week and what a difference. As stupid as it sounds, I look forward to my little fruit pop every night now before bedtime. Like I'm 2 or something - or a grandma. ARG! I let this go eventually.

God Bless -

4 comments:

  1. It lifts my spirit every time I read your blog. Got a little behind, the end of July.....think I am about caught up. I love the way you are able to express yourself through your words.....if only I could do this!
    Wish I could help with the cranberry question......the only thing we have learned about the sulfur is that you will burn more easily in the sun.
    Enjoy D-land!!! Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird about the cranberry juice thing. Maybe it's because antibiotics tend to disrupt the natural flauna of our girl parts (hence the overgrowth of yeast to repair the damage from too much stuff killed off from the drugs?) I've known cranberry to assist in natural kidney functions/urinary, so maybe it's just a boost of good stuff where antibiotics tend to be a little overwhelming to our systems? Because we live in a petri dish with our new preschool, we discovered these pro-biotics (to counteract the effects of the anti's...) They are white chocolate bears that have all the live cultures in them and they are delicious. I eat them now, too and totally rec. them. Miss you and love you- Eat one of those gigantic lollipops at the D-Land. xoxo Sami

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the ignorant commentary about your "granddaughter"... is because most people don't expect a 30-something year old mom of 2 young babies to have cancer. It's not common enough for anyone to be automatically thinking that.

    Also, yeah. Cranberry = happy lady parts. Yogurt too... Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the "Grandma" comment. That was very thoughtless, but sometimes things just come out. I am eating my words from a similar comment I made about a lady whose role and age I misjusdged. I have eternal "foot in mouth" disease. The lady was probably like your blond friend, Sheila, who speaks so often WITHOUT thinking at all. What I did was embarrassing for both of us, and then I said nothing. I was at a loss for words. When I realized what I had done, I thought if I did say something it would draw more attention to it. I am afraid I hurt her feelings. So sorry yours were hurt. Don't take it personally, but I probably would too. It is okay to get mad about something, Dina!
    I agree with the cranberry thing, too. good for the urinary tract.
    I think you are doing great and I am glad you are going swimming and doing something that you enjoy. Try to ignore those of us who blunder. Big hugs, Sheila

    ReplyDelete