About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Costco Rant

I ventured out this morning w/ my two girls in tow for a morning of grocery shopping. It was refreshing to see I was treated today just like everyone else. No one gave me any special treatment today, that was for sure. Which is fine, it almost felt like a completely normal day. My girls were great, and we had the BIG shopping to do - you that live here know the drill - Walmart for basic groceries because despite the clientele the pricing is rock bottom and we need to save everything we can, then off to Costco for the bulk stuff. It's like going from one extreme to another. Ginger was great until we got to Costco - then complete meltdown ensued right before we entered the checkout line. Soooooo, because of this I forgot to use my coupons (DRATS!) and I also realized I had WAY to much big stuff to fit in one cart, so here I am with 2 kids and 2 full carts. (paper towels, toilet paper and diapers are like, 1 cart - DUH!) so I finish paying and this Costco worker just takes off with one of my carts (the one without the kids, don't worry) and I said "Oh - I guess he's helping me out with that?" So I start following him at a pretty quick pace because he's moving really fast - I'm thinking, he's either pushing me to the front of the store, or stealing my cart - neither of which I could really do anything about. What he did was deliver it to the exit then had the receipt checker people radio for someone to come help me out to my car. Everyone acted like they were doing me a big favor - where are the Safeway workers when you need one? They ALWAYS want to help you out to your car!!!!! So there I stand, like a big sore bald thumb with a screaming baby at the exit of Costco, trying to stay out of people's way with 2 full carts of bulk crap. You can imagine how special this felt to me. So after what seemed like an eternity, I said - Ya know! I would wait, but kids really can't. I'm going to try to manage this myself (of COURSE I said this, it's me!!) So there I go out the door, pushing my cart with my poor little screaming Ginger, Madeline with her hands over her ears, and pulling the other cart behind me. And - may I tell you this, it is really hot to be bald and wearing a scarf. I couldn't imagine wearing a wig. I love my wigs, but unless we're going someplace really special, I ain't putting one of those sweat nests on my head. No way. It's hot enough with just the scarf on. Oy. Anyhoo, I digress - then this guy who works gathering carts comes up to me and offers to help. Not only did he help, he packed my car for me - remember, Ginger is screaming this entire time. He was my saving grace this afternoon. I got everyone situated, wished I could have tipped him or something, had a spare pie I had baked in the car or something to give him, thanked him profusely and we were on our way. I was so frazzled I called PJ to make sure he would be home to help me unload I told him I had just left Price Club, Price Club - do you even remember when we had Price Club? Needless to say, it was time to go home.

Got everyone home, fed and down for naps and I got to relax a bit - then just got really, really tired. Put on some comfy clothes and my little white turban on and sat and folded laundry (I find this relaxing) Then Jaime brought us a meal tonight, thank you Jesus (well, Jamie - but you catch my drift), considering I couldn't really move the rest of the day. I'd never met her before and boy did I look the part today - sorry bout that Jaime.

We had a lovely dinner together as a family and played with our girls - which is probably my most favorite time of the day. After dinner, PJ and I and the girls go into their room and he and I just sit on the floor and play with them - all of us together - it is so awesome.

My devotional today had a portion of it I wanted to share. As devotionals go, this one starts with a story, then a prayer, then a TIP then a scripture reference to review. I'm sharing the TIP for today - it reads:

In this life, pain is inevitable, but misery is optional. Purposely choose to be joyful!

With all that has come with this cancer, I am till unable to stop my brain from going to the humor spot - everywhere. Even when it is inappropriate. Sometimes when my brain is a little late in getting there, I have people close to me to remind me of the humor. I am excited to have family in this weekend, and anxious at the same time. No one has come to the Mountcastle Cancer Compound since this journey began, and I know it is different now. God give me the strength, and the humor - to guide me through this weekend, so I can enjoy and celebrate my family.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your good thoughts and prayers - God Bless.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Dina--Just to let you know---you have 6 more girlfriends from ND praying for you---all anxiously awaiting their pink t-shirts that I'll send them once I return to AZ on Sunday.
    Game On! And yes, choose joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina, We all have joy for you and so glad that it is your choice also. Keep up the good work, you are growing stronger girl. Have fun this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dina - Jennifer Ward, here.......I had to laugh HARD because I still, to this day, call COSTCO...PRICE CLUB! Oh brother! You're not alone! Again, find the humor and hold on tightly to it!!!! :o) We're still prayin'!!

    ReplyDelete