About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Insurance Shuffle

Good day today. Felt pretty good, although Ginger has taken to waking up in the middle of the night for the past week or so now, needing a bottle. She suddenly isn't really interested in eating solid food for any meal, just merely munching on stuff - then down all this milk. I'm hoping this is a phase, cuz I was really getting used to sleeping through the night myself, ya know? She's just out of sorts lately, can't figure out what she needs to make her happy, and I find that frustrating as her mommy, cuz I feel like I should know this stuff ALL the time. I do most of the time. So, I was a bit tired when I got up this morning.

Finally got to attend WOW at the Lutheran church, which was really awesome. So great to see everyone and just blend in as part of the crowd. Felt really good.

Ginger stayed home w/ my mom and niece, so I took Madeline to school today and picked her up. Stopped at the pharmacy on the way home to get my flu shot and also to check in and see what the hold up was with my Femara prescription. Seems I needed prior approval. Before I get into that, let me say that I highly recommend you take your little one w/ you to get your flu shot. It was so cute to watch Madeline watch me get a shot - she asked me the best questions "Is it gonna hurt mom?" then "Are you going to cry mom?" Her eyes got real big when he got the shot ready and when he gave it to me she let out this huge gasp, it was awesome. Then she said "Good job mom - you were such a big girl!" Is that not the best? Anyway, cool experience for us both I think. Plus the pharmacist was wicked cool too. I did kinda miss getting my flu shot at Ace Hardware next to the paint section like the last couple years, that was pretty cool too.

Anyway, the prescription. Seems I needed a prior approval from my dr - so I called them and talked with the financial advisor (this man is amazing, he handles insurance company BS all day for the oncology clinic - talk about patience - he was obviously born with patience of his own AND mine). They got the approval for an indefinite amount of time - YIPEE! Then, he called me back and said - oh, well, it was approved and is waiting for you - the insurance company paid $65 and your portion is $371.55. For a 30 day supply. Wha? So we decided to double team them (the insurance company) and see what kind of things we could get done about this. Now, I was in the insurance industry for 20 years, not the health insurance industry exclusively, but I know enough to speak the language and know a bit about the ins and outs of this game called 'health care'. So I call and get this woman on the phone who spoke to me like I was a 2 year old child. It was all I could do to have this retching conversation with her - I even put the phone down while she was lecturing me on comparison shopping for a pharmacy, came back and her mouth had not stopped yapping. Long story short, seems I have a deductible for name brand prescriptions which is $500 a year. Didn't know that. Well, I most likely saw this when I chose this plan 2 years ago, but obviously thought that any prescription I would get should have a generic so why should I worry? Little did I know I'd have breast cancer, it would spread, I would have 15 treatments of chemo, have my ovaries removed, have a mastectomy then I'd need an aromatase inhibitor to take for the next 5-10 years. What was I thinking? So, to look on the bright side (I must or I will scream) at least it's only a $500 deductible then my copay is $25 a month - and we can budget for this once a year. It's not like I can go shopping for a better health plan with better prescription coverage - yea, insurance companies are just chomping at the bit to cover me. So - I'm trying to stay in the 'glass is half full' way of thinking here. At least I have insurance coverage.

My husband and father leave tomorrow for turkey hunting, and I am so thrilled they are going. Not in a 'get out of the house already!' kind of way, because seriously, if I had it my way, my husband and I would be within arms reach of each other 24/7 (I'm kinda sick like that about him) but really thrilled that my husband gets to get away and do something just for him for once. He doesn't do that often, if ever - and this is such a well deserved break for him. He has taken such good care of me for the past 6 months, I'm so excited for him to go out and do his own thing for a couple days. The fact he's spending time w/ my dad is just icing on the cake. I'm so blessed they get along so well and are so close.

Thank you to Karen for bringing me dinner tonight, it was very yummy and the perfect amount and you are such a blessing to me, thank you. My mom and niece are leaving tomorrow afternoon, and I have had just the best time having them here. It has been so comforting, and relaxing, and they have been so helpful, I can't begin to thank them enough for coming up here to help me. I'm so much happier that I let them help me, what an important lesson I've learned. My mom and I had an amazing conversation last night too - which gave me some real insight into her as a person I hadn't had before. She is one incredibly strong, loving and independent woman. Now I know where I learned this from. She is a gift, and I'm so very proud to be her daughter.

Very tired this evening, and have another full day tomorrow so must get to sleep. Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts, and thank you all for reading my words here. Your emails and comments mean more than I could ever express - you inspire me, love on me, and keep me going. Thank you for walking this with me, I wouldn't want to do it without all of you by my side.

How blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment