About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Wig? Gone With The Wind.

No, that didn't actually happen to me. Wouldn't that have been the best though? But I did finally go out in public with my wig on. I went to the WigWam (can we get more stereotypical of a wig shop in Prescott?) and my new good friend Mary Jo styled this cheap wig I bought that I thought I could maybe use to just run to the store or something. The other wig I bought is more, well, just MORE. Anyhoo, it didn't turn out that bad! It actually looked pretty decent. It's the kind of wig that will make me just blend into the common public, which is a really nice option. However, when it's windy, since it's not your hair attached to your head, you don't know when it's standing straight up - so it's important to check yourself a couple times. The things I am learning. I went to Michael's with this on, and didn't feel stared at or anything. I wore the MORE wig to church this morning and someone asked me if I got my hair highlighted. Guess it looks pretty natural. This was nice, however, this was also said by the woman who watches Ginger and she knows I have breast cancer and saw me with the super short hair cut last week, so while I'm flattered that she thought I had my hair highlighted, I'm also concerned with the fact that the woman who watches my toddler doesn't remember me from last week. Hmmm. Anyway, my friend Jennifer brought up a fabulous point -she said "Dina, this way when you don't want people to talk to you about your cancer when you're out, wear a wig - when you feel like chatting about it, wear your scarf." Brilliant! However, I'm finding these wigs slightly uncomfortable. So there will most likely be days where I will just not want to wear one out. I couldn't rip that wig off fast enough when we returned home from church. I've advised my family that I will be 'free balding' it here at home.

Now here's the lesson this weekend for me. My 3 year old has taught me more about humanity than anyone else through this experience. She has seen me with long hair, short hair, with basically no hair, in 2 different wigs, and has said NOTHING. She literally doesn't see my hair - I can't tell you how this makes me feel and how it feels to experience someone treating you as a PERSON, by who you are, not what you look like. I know this seems like a simple concept - but read my sentence again and really read it. I am painfully aware now of how I see people. I see the packaging first, not the person inside. I am trying now to see past the packaging - it is indeed, so irrelevant. This my friend, is life changing kind of shit. Amazing. Today at lunch she said 'mommy, the medicine you are taking is going to make your hair fall out, right?' I answered "yes, it is. but when I'm done I get to grow nice new hair - that will be cool, right" and she said "yes, can it be pink? pink is my favorite color!" I told her I'd work on that. ;-)


As silly as this sounds, as many times we've all heard this life lesson throughout our lives, in high school and all that stuff - I have actually been given the gift of being able to experience this - this profound love of a child which sees only people - nothing else. Can you imagine? I know! I can't either!!! Isn't that a shame? I'm really going to work on this. I think this is one of the most important messages I've received through this. I feel like there are no words in the English language to describe this feeling. I hope I'm doing it justice with the words I have chosen here.


Here are some pics of the wigs, and I dunno, I think PJ looks dead sexy in these, way better than me. We had quite a few giggles about this - sometimes we are all just great big children ourselves, aren't we? We can only hope. God Bless.




























8 comments:

  1. I think you both look gorgous in them!
    That is amazing Dina they don't even look like wigs as I know them.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I peed myself. I LOVE it. I like the first one A LOT. Like a lot-alot. PJ is rather hot in those wigs, fo sho... So funny, you guys. We love you. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol...........is it just me, or does PJ look like Mike Myers in Goldmember??? WELL! HE DOES!!! ((and ps - the wigs are darling, i LOVE the first one....VERY VERY cute!!!!))

    Anonymously....Jennifer Ward ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! You guys make me laugh :) I totally chuckled out loud when I scrolled down to see pj in the wig.I love the first one too, very trendy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, you guys rock! I think they look great. On both of you! :) jk! Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, so now you have 2 beautiful wigs and you make all the rest of us look well very un....well you know. Such a beautiful lady any way you are. Keep that smile, keep the faith, God is there. You are very awesome lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, you both look amazing. There is a light that shines from you. Your writings are wonderful. It is so true are children are our mirrors and they sound like wonderful kids. They love you unconditionally. Dina, I have to read you at least every other day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I should call Margaret Emerson and get you your wig from Lucky Stiff....that would be fun and then we can go get drinks on Whiskey Row :-)

    <3 Johanna

    ReplyDelete