About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Some Like It Hot!

Great day today - church was awesome as always, and I went sporting one of my new little fashionable scull cap things with a pretty scarf tied around it. It was pretty obvious I was bald underneath, but it is way more comfortable than a wig. Plus, I'm not real keen yet on putting on a wig on my newly bald head, like that Verizon commercial, 'wigs are kinda scratchy!!'

Therefore, lots of hugs today. And, lots of looks again while we were out running errands. But to be honest, I'm not looking at anyone - I'm looking at my beautiful family, and how much they DON'T see anything different. It's pretty cool. We went grocery shopping and then went out to lunch, and here's where I went a little crazy.

You know the whole taste buds thing, right? How I can't taste really anything - except like, fresh stuff and hot stuff - anything processed tastes awful. Well, I was determined to taste something today, so I am literally, eating jalapenos (pickled not fresh) one by one. I've always liked them, but have NEVER been able to eat them this way. Also, I order a buffalo chicken sandwich and am dipping EVERYTHING into the buffalo sauce. PJ and I have decided this would be the time to start earning some cash at some bars by daring to eat hot things, cuz I can't really taste it in full flavor, it's kinda muted. I had the best meal today - all obnoxiously HOT stuff - but at least I could TASTE it. It was wonderful. Yes, I was smart enough to take a couple tums when I got home.

Madeline starts Vacation Bible School this week, so I'm excited for her, and for me to have a week of normal mom things to do. Sometimes sitting at home makes me think about the cancer too much - I love playing with my kids, but those moments where it's quiet, it get REALLY quiet for me sometimes. So this will be a nice week of change. Plus, I get to see all my wonderful mom friends that I haven't seen for awhile - you don't realize how much you take for granted seeing them when you drop off your kid at school. I've missed them.

I wanted to share something my good friend Judy wrote to me tonight (I hope you don't mind me sharing this Judy). This has to be one of the most lovely things anyone has ever said to me, and I wanted to share this because it brought such comfort to my frustratingly insecure heart. I'm still getting used to my 'new' look, and this was just a beautiful thing to share with me, and her timing is impeccable.

"In looking at your pictures of your beautiful new do – I couldn't’t help think of Sinead O’Connor in the 90’s. you are both beautiful and in some ways more so because your hair doesn’t detract from the glow in your eyes. Peter (the apostle) talks about this in 1 Peter when he says that a woman’s beauty shouldn't come from her adornment but rather a peaceful joy in her spirit that causes her to be truly beautiful. It’s so true. You are beautiful. Your eyes, smile and spirit are shining – thank you for letting the world see it!"

Thank you friend, and thanks again to all who have sent me equally supportive emails and encouragement. I read everything, and am so blessed to have you all supporting me. God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. fellow mommy/friendJune 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM

    Dina, I don't know you well personally, except thru reading your blog...that I am quite hopeful we can change. However, I never have a dry eye while I read your posts, making me realize how much I sadly take for granted everything about the 3 kids of my own. I applaud you for all your intense words of wisdom (yes, by the hundreds), humor, faith and love of life! I thank you for opening my eyes. I pray for you daily. I have to agree with Judy... she just beat me to finding the right words...You are beautiful, your smile, your eyes, everything...keep letting the light of God shine thru! He's amazing in you. God Bless you and your sweet family! See you soon~ take care

    ReplyDelete