About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cancer + Relationships = ????

Today went well - and I love the fact the afternoon here was filled with thunderstorms and rain and cool weather - we opened up the house for the latter part of the day and evening and just let all this fresh air in, it felt great. I'm feeling ok - not the same as last week, which is a little frustrating, but I'm sure this is common. I just had some stomach pain start this evening which I'm trying to control with antacids and anti-nausea medication. We'll see.

It's interesting how relationships go through a very strange metamorphosis when you tell people you have cancer. Double whammy to the relationship when you tell them you have stage 4 cancer - and I know I need to respect the way all individuals deal with this information, I mean we are all different, I realize that and respect that. Some family members didn't call for awhile, some friends disappeared - friends I haven't spoken to in years - and I mean like, 10-15 years, I'm talking to on a daily basis now, friends I wasn't real close with now know me better than some family members, friends distance themselves from you and make it about them and what they can deal with; but for the most part - I have such a renewed sense of humanity. I have never, in my entire life, been lifted up and embraced by a community like this community has done for me. People have showed up for me in ways I have never experienced in my life. Given the current economic climate, this is completely overwhelming and blessedly reassuring. We are all put on this planet to love one another - that is really the threadline through all belief systems. If we all just followed that, could you imagine the power. Well, I am experiencing this power now. And while my relationships with people continue to evolve, I am confident that me wishing everyone well and good things can only do them, and me, good in the end. Now, that's not always easy - there are many times I want to drop the ol F bomb and scream out loud (which sometimes I do in private I'll admit) but for the most part - I am so proud to join hands with this community who have given me the power, or helped me realize the power within myself, to fight this thing head on. I don't look back, and only look forward and pray and stay strong and laugh - God yes, laugh - ALL THE TIME. You wouldn't believe the amount of material there is at these chemo treatments - there's a sitcom waiting to happen here. But I digress. I guess my point is this if I even have one tonight - I'm focusing on the relationships that are moving with me through this journey, not holding me back - I must - I must fight with those who are fighting with me. And I thank you God for putting all the pieces into place for me, for organizing this team or amazing individuals, I cannot and will not fail. Someone said to me today "ya know, I just hope this doesn't all die out, ya know, you have a long haul ahead of you and the momentum may fade for you". Hmmmmm, well let's look at that for a moment. While I may not expect every day to be full of pink t-shirts - I am humbled by the fact that there were may days that were - when I needed them most to be. That is what I hold onto, that is where I fix my mind in times of fear - this is what God has given me. Now it is my duty to follow this through to the end. I have enough momentum for myself because of this community to get me through all of this. When it's your life, it means something a little different than something else. Momentum? Not a problem.

Well, I think I've rambled on enough on this subject - now that this is out of my brain, I'll be able to sleep much better. Thanks as always for reading, and your prayers, and your - momentum. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Let me know when you guys want to go to another movie, I will get the tickets, and provide childcare if needed!!!!!! Love and prayers from my family to yours!!!! Love Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. May each of your days be 'pink t-shirt days' Dina. We're not done yet...that is GOD is not done yet (with His great plans He's working through us)!
    Sana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dina! I hope you know I am still praying too. I think of you regularly and pray, not only for the cancer to be successfully annihilated, but also for peace and strength. I hope you know that the pink shirts - even while in our closets - we are wearing them on our hearts~! Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Dina, You have so many annonymous friends that are reading your blog, wearing pink T shirts, and praying and thanking God daily from all over the world. Pour out your feelings. God doesn't care. You are now so filled with the Holy Spirit and God knows that. That is why you can be so kind. Cindy

    ReplyDelete