About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Monday, May 18, 2009

To Pluck - or Not To Pluck - That Is The Question

Now, my husband would argue the following: 'Dina - you PLUCK a chicken, you TWEEZE your eyebrows.' True you may say - however, I have always said PLUCK when referring to my eyebrow grooming. As I sat on the bathroom counter grooming my eyebrows this evening, which my wonderful aesthetician, Victoria, in NYC taught me (I miss her so much) I thought to myself - why are you doing this? You very well may lose these, in fact, you WILL lose these, so why not let them grow all long and bushy and unruly? This is where the nonsensical 'Dina' emerges - because I must be groomed. I am noticing more about myself and my little idiosyncrasies through this experience, much to my chagrin. What I am hopeful of, is this will lend itself for me to be just as meticulous when I lose my hair - head and otherwise - to really keep myself looking as decent as I can. I must say, having gone from Corporate Bitch in NYC to stay at home mom, I am guilty now of not really taking care of my appearance at times. It's also REALLY easy to get away with this up here. So, hopefully, this is a swift kick in the ass for me to get my sh*t together and start paying attention a little more.

Madeline was OK today, I'm still fighting this fever of hers which came on full force 3 different times today. So scary - and I am SUCH a pushover when she is sick. I let her eat whatever she wants, sleep when she wants, stay up as long as she wants. I never thought I would be that way, but I am. I'm anxious to see how she does throughout the night tonight, and if it's not any better, I'll call the dr. again tomorrow. Ginger, my sweet Ginger, now screams and cries (and I mean REALLY cries) if I'm not a foot away from her at all times or holding her. Oh Joy. Good thing she's wicked cute.

It is my Daddy's birthday today, so my hubby watched the girls after we got them bathed so I could pop over to see him and wish him a Happy Birthday. I love my daddy so much. It means so much to me to be so close to him to be able to pop over and see him. We had a great chat and laughed a lot - and cried because the card I picked out for him which made me cry made HIM cry too when he read it - guess I picked the right one. Then he opened his gift (The Good The Bad And The Ugly and The Godfather on dvd ) PJ picked them out - could you guess? My dad LOVED it. Personally, I don't get the spaghetti westerns - must be a guy thing.

Had a pretty amazing moment w/ my dad and Nancy this evening as I was leaving. My father, in all his wonderfulness, asked me if he should move forward with PJ's application for the Masons (he's joining and we are thrilled). My dad was concerned that maybe he should hold off because of my treatment and such, too much to handle and stuff. Without missing a beat, I responded to him as follows: "Dad, life doesn't stop just because I have cancer - it just gets a little more interesting is all - please, submit the application and move forward with it, PJ needs this. I'm fine and if I need help I'll ask for it, I'm getting better at that." Can you believe this? Now, let me back up a minute by saying that I was listening to a cd given to me by Kelly Garasha (thank you by the way, it is AMAZING!) and right when I turned into my dad's place, I see the dark clouds being broken in two by these amazing beams of sunlight shining down into the horizon - right when track #2 started playing. I burst into tears. Whether you believe in God or not - something was speaking to me at that very moment and I felt it. Amazing. To me it was God - and it was real. I gave thanks.

So today, feels like I have a better grip on the cancer thing. Or a better grip than I had yesterday. BTW - I think I"m actually going to try to get FUBC as a license plate - if I can BS my way through the DMV with some bogus acronym. I'll take any and all suggestions you may have. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer Ward here....how about Fabulously, Undeniably & Beautifully CRAZY! FUBC! Just tell them that your husband calls you that! I'm SURE there are MUCH BETTER ideas out there - but, at 6:50am...it's what first came to mind. Have a Fabulously, Undeniably Beautiful DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I am with PJ on the plucking a chicken!!! Moose and I have had this argument time and again.
    I have been thinking on the license plate for over an hour! Haven't had any bright ideas, but I can say I have a back up plan. Keep me posted.

    Adelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dina:
    You don't know me, but we're both a part of the sisterhood and survivors group. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in August of 2007. I went through it all -- chemo, surgery, more chemo, and then radiation. I finished in April of 2008. All is well. Actually better than well! I learned a great deal about myself, others, and faith. I'd love to meet with you sometime and just chat. That's what we do -- when we've made this journey. Please, if you'd like, contact me. I am a financial advisor here in Prescott (for the past 26 years). I don't know if you recall the Prescott Women's magazine (October issue), but I was selected for the cover story. Oh dear...not quite how I envisioned my claim to fame! Anyway, I was amused with your dilemma of to pluck or not to pluck. I was thrilled that I kept my eyebrows throughout the chemo (after losing all my hair elsewhere). Then after the chemo sessions ended, I lost my eyebrows and eylashes. Not fair, I said! But as quickly as I lost them, they grew back and so perfectly that I don't have to "pluck" anymore! Love to hear from you sometime. Your in my thoughts...Jodi Padgett (JPadgett@cableone.net)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dina,
    You may or may not remember me, but I was the Maid-of-Honor that walked down the isle with your husband at Katie and Brian's wedding...I'm Katies little sister! I just have to say that you make my day! I think about you and your family all the time and not a day goes by that I dont lift you up in prayer! You are an amazing women! You are so full of life and hope and you are such an encouragement to me!!! My prayer for you is not one of healing because I trust that God has given you the strength and courage to beat this. My prayer for you is that you always stay Dina, wonderful wife and mother! You are a beautiful, amazing woman!!! Thank you for being my sunshine everyday!!! You are ALWAYS in my prayers!!!

    Much love always,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete