About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Yes - I Have A Brain







First of all , needed to share these beautiful pictures taken by Kelly Garasha. They are stunning, aren't they? Please send business her way - she is just a beautiful person who takes beautiful photos. We are blessed to have these. capturedphotography@cableone.net






So - results are in from the scads of tests yesterday and the fact that I do have a brain is medically proven now. Even better - no cancer anywhere else except where we've already discovered. GOOD NEWS!!! So, now I just have to run in tomorrow to the hospital for a quick xray to make sure the port is placed correctly (I've been having some weird feelings when breathing on my left side) and we're off to the races. My first chemo treatment is tentatively scheduled for Wed of next week. Yikes. I'm eager to get this shit kicked out of me, yet frightened at the thought of poison running through my veins at the same time. I'm sure this will intensify even more as it approaches closer.

Went for my echo and ekg today, and those went just fine. Nothing to report there except that my heart does have an extra little step in its beat. Explains why I'm not a real great tap dancer, but does explain my comedic timing. ;-)

The nurse we met for my ekg - her name is Anne - reminded me of a valuable lesson today when I was in there. Of course, like most medical professionals I have encountered within the last month and a half, they all seem to say at one point or another that I am way to young to be going through this. Anne stated the same type of thing this morning then asked why I was a patient of Dr. Lindquist (oncologist). After I explained she simply stated 'you'll be fine, just keep a positive attitude'. She went on to explain that her sister had a brain tumor and that it was very serious. Her sister decided to name her tumor - she called it Tom the Tumor - and her family lovingly referred to her as 'Tumor Head'. This was ten years ago.

Now, this may seem a bit mean to most I would presume - however, this goes right along with PJ & I's sense of humor. A wonderful reminder to us to lighten up, and deal with this with as much humor as possible. My sister called me recently and reminded me of this as well - she said to me that humor is a place where I easily go anyway - so go there, and find healing and comfort there. I'm there, and thank you to you all - message received loud and clear.
Our girls are not sleeping well lately - I can't remember a night where PJ and I actually slept in the same bed all night together. I'm praying this will change, as PJ and I both desperately need our sleep. Especially now.
Thank you all again for your prayers - I still need to pray hard in the mornings for strength, that stupid darkness likes to creep in again. Praying helps so much.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina, all I can say is that "they" are right. At a time when it's difficult (to say the least) to find anything to laugh about, you must do just that! Laugher is, was and always will be chicken soup for the soul...

    Ginger and Madeline just look so cute that I want to pinch their cheeks just like one of my over-bearing Aunts used to do (God rest her soul, she is pinching cheeks in a better place now!) but then I remembered that it kinda hurt every time she did that and I think it's why one of my ever-growing & drooping jowels droops more than the other HA! So I will just blow them a kiss. And you. Not PJ. Just a Laurel...And hearty (Hardy) handshake for PJ...and even a high 5...

    Dina, I am glad to see that it has not spread, I am glad you are keeping your sense of humor and I hope the girls continue to feel better. OH, and I hope you guys can get some sleep (ehum, or whatever - SECOND best medicine ;-P , soon)!

    Hang in there Kiddo!

    xoxoxo

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't seem harsh to me - if you can laugh at it, you can beat it. Attitude is everything, believing you can is half the battle (the little engine that could?). You and PJ are amazing. However, you really don't need any more challenges right now!! I'm having a talk with God about this - enuf is enuf! Love, Keitha

    And it still takes me 10 minutes to post these messages - a CT scan may show I have no brain . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are beautiful!!!! The light is perfect! ~Adelia

    ReplyDelete