About Me

My photo
I have breast cancer and am a snappy dancer

Sunday, May 3, 2009

I'm so tired of hospitals....

Today started as any normal Sunday - we got up, went to church, went to Costco for a few things then had pizza and ice cream then came home. It was all very normal. Madeline fell asleep in the car on the way home, so when we got home, we put her in her bed and she stayed asleep (something that never happens). I was playing with Ginger while PJ got changed, then he came and watched her while I got changed. Out of nowhere - Ginger started having a seizure. It was the single most frightening moment of my life. Before I continue, please know she is fine now and asleep in our bed right now w/ PJ sitting with her, as we do not want to leave her alone this evening, but this was absolutely frightening.

I immediately called 911 and the paramedics arrived quite quickly. She had been seizing in PJ's arms (convulsing with foam coming out of her mouth) the entire time I was on the phone with the 911 operator, but had stopped shortly before they arrived. Then she just went limp and was very drowsy. PJ handed her to me and she never left my arms - we rode in the ambulance to the hospital in Prescott and PJ followed right behind us. A neighbor came and stayed w/ Madeline (who, thank GOD never woke up from her nap to see any of this) until Nancy arrived. It seems my little girl, who was just smiling, waving and playing as if she didn't have a care in the world, had a sudden spike in her temperature which caused the seizure. She has pneumonia in one lung and a UTI. They put in an IV and gave her fluids and an antibiotic, then because she came back around so nicely and as back to her old self, let us take her home. We almost thought she was going to have to stay the night. I'm so glad she is ok.

I really don't know what to say here - except that me being here for my kids and being their mom is the most important thing in this entire universe to me. I just don't want to leave her side - and am sick that I have to go and have these frickin tests done tomorrow instead of staying home w/ her. PJ is actually staying home w/ her tomorrow and my girlfriend, Jennifer, is spending the day with me in lovely Cottonwood for my CT/Bone Scan/MRI. Yippee. I'm going to eat something real quick, shower and get in bed with my baby.

I looked at PJ in the emergency room and said 'what have we done so wrong to deserve these things!' and he profoundly answered 'I think we're doing everything right'.

I can't go through in writing right now the emotions I have gone through today - this was literally the single most frightening experience I have had in my life. I just need to say that nothing is taking me away from my babies. Nothing.

Thank you to Pastor Mary, Pastor Nancy, Sarah, Jennifer & Nancy for rushing to our sides. Your presence at this moments notice is irreplaceable. And thank you to the medical team and doctors and nurses that helped Ginger today. We are once again so very blessed.

4 comments:

  1. Dina - I'm so sorry you had to go through this with her...especially now. While Madeline's was a Febrile seizure, I know how you feel. Haley was diagnosed with Complex Partial Epilepsy in 2003 - it is indeed terrifying to see them so out of control. Sounds like she'll be fine. Haley is seizure free now - and we're thrilled. Doesn't sound like Madeline will have to face anything like that in the future! WONDERFUL! ((hug)) Jennifer (Ward)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina, my son had one of those seizures as well and is happy and healthy, I hope you can find rest in that.

    Also, I have a Bible story for you. This is the story: There was a man that was blind, begging on the side of the road. A couple of men walked by with Jesus and asked him why the man was blind. They asked if it was his sins or the sins of his family before him that caused the blindness. Jesus answered simply that he was blind only for the purpose of bringing glory to God. Jesus healed the man that day and God was glorified through it. I hope you can hold on to that story and know that if God wants to give you these hardships so he can do these miracles in your family to give God the glory, it is worth it. There is no greater purpose in life. We were made to glorify Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never believe that what his happening is happening because of some sinister deeds you are doing or because of something you are not doing. These are challenges that are occurring independent of the quality of persons you both are and on a worldly level, are just happening but all at once. I had a dear friend who had survived a 19 year abusive relationship she escaped and went on to get her Master’s. In the midst of her career taking off, she was diagnosed with MS. The disease continued to overtake her rendering her legally blind and in the end, dependent on a care giver to help her with all of her needs. Until the end, she firmly believed that God was sending her “challenges” (she would say, “I am not handicapped, I am ‘challenged’.”) And she steadfastly continued to meet these challenges head on. Her faith in God never waivered and her faith in herself, her values and her dignity grew stronger. You are both wonderful, courageous and incredible people from whom we are all learning about Faith in God, ourselves and each other as a family, as friends and as a family of friends. Know how much you are loved and respected despite this and in another odd way, because of this. Your love of each other shines through and your commitment to God continues to strengthen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Dina - I meant Ginger when I was referring to the seizure in your prior post and my prior comment. Glad to hear she's well....that's wonderful! Jennifer Ward (sorry, can't figure out how to post as myself...so, for now, i'll just sign my name!) Duh!

    ReplyDelete